I sometimes do bicycle tours where I travel on the order of 12h a day for several days. That is, I need lots of energy a day, and I need to keep this up, so I really shouldn't have an energy deficit.
It's often difficult to find suitable food for this. Can you recommend me some vegetarian (vegan is a bonus) food? Requirements in list form are as follows:
High nutrition value per volume and weight.
- It's okay if I need to add water to it before eating/drinking it.
- It should mostly be carbs, with some decent amount of protein. Only little fat (not for energy, but to be able to use those vitamins and stuff which can only be used together with fat). I will be touring through France so there will be opportunities to resupply, but only basic stuff, no time to search for "specialty" food. Bread, fresh fruit, things which are eaten by lots of people in France can be assumed to be available to me roadside.
- Easily digestible (otherwise the digestive system can't keep up with the raw amount of it)
- It doesn't need to be completely balanced (after all after at most 2 weeks I'll resume my usual varied diet), but can't be completely off either, because after all I'm taxing my body a lot and need lots of stuff.
- Either possible to carry a significant amount of it or widely available (I don't want more than 10kg or 20kg of baggage and that includes stuff other than food)
- Keeps unrefrigerated
- Doesn't crumble or squish easily (having to put it in rigid protecting containers adds a considerable amount of weight)
- No cooking which goes above adding some boiling water and waiting a couple of minutes - time is also an issue.
This is in the context of this question (although that was in Italy instead of France).